This is my signature dessert for sure. It’s an absolute crowd pleaser and so simple to make. Either prepare one cake and slice it in two and sandwich together or make two cakes and sandwich both together for a larger version.
The egg yolks are used to make the sponge base and the egg whites are then whipped to make the meringue topping, they then merge together as they bake.
When it comes to serving, not only does it look heavenly, it holds together beautifully for the perfect slice of nutty crunch, squidgy sponge and juicy raspberries.
125g butter, softened
100g caster Sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla essence
60ml (4tbsp) milk
100g self-raising flour
2 egg whites
150g caster sugar
50g hazelnuts, chopped
150ml double cream
225g fresh raspberries
Icing sugar to dust
- Set oven to 170°c fan. Line a large rectangular baking tin with lightly oiled paper (approx.14”X9”)
- Start with the sponge base, beat together butter and sugar until light & fluffy
- Add egg yolks and vanilla essence
- Gently fold in the flour and combined with the milk
- Spread the sponge mixture thinly in the lined baking tin baking tray
- Whisk the egg whites to a hard froth, add the sugar one spoon at a time while continuing to whisk
- Cover the sponge mixture with the meringue
- Sprinkle the hazelnuts over the meringue
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven for a further 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. It can be covered and left overnight at this stage if you need to make it in advance
- Lift the cake out of the tin using the paper and cut in half and place on a serving dish (or if you are making the larger double size cake place this layer on a serving plate – I use a covered chopping board, while you make the next layer)
- Whip the double cream and cover one half of the cake and evenly sprinkle over the fresh raspberries before you carefully place the other layer on top
- Dust with icing sugar before serving
Strawberry Meringue Cake
Alternative: Strawberry Meringue Cake – substitute the hazelnuts for flaked almonds and bake the cake recipe (x1) in two 7-inch round cake tins and bake for 20 minutes Layer together with sliced strawberries instead of raspberries.