Maybe you are having a romantic lunch for two this bank holiday or perhaps you want to feed a few more with an end of summer barbecue. Either way, this refreshing salad is easy to multiply, just line up the plates and get a tasty production line going. If you’re feeling flushed, then go for fresh tuna grilled or barbecued otherwise tinned or from a jar works well too. Just make sure you have a lovely bottle of rosé chilling before you serve – Bon Appétit!
Here’s the recipe for two people so just multiply for more.
100g French beans, trimmed
180g new potatoes, scrubbed
1 small round lettuce
2 beef tomatoes, cut into eights
½ a small cucumber, peeled and thickly sliced
2 x 125g fresh tuna steaks or 1 x 200g tin/jar of tuna
A handful of black olives
15ml (1Tbsp) capers
4 anchovies – optional
10ml (2 tsp) French Mustard (smooth or grain)
30ml (2 Tbsp) vinegar (red or white wine, or raspberry)
Salt & pepper
100ml olive oil
- Boil the new potatoes for 10 minutes and then add the beans and eggs to the water, cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Drain and cool the vegetables and eggs under a running cold water and set the eggs to one side.
- Wash and arrange lettuce leaves on to two serving plates.
- Add the potatoes, beans, tomatoes and cucumber equally to each plate on top of the lettuce leaves.
- Either grill or barbecue the fresh tuna to your liking (I would recommend medium) and place on top of the salad, alternatively drain the tin/jar of tuna, flake and arrange accordingly.
- Peel the eggs and quarter. Arrange on top of the salad with the olives and capers.
- Make the dressing: In a small jar (or bowl) mix together the mustard and vinegar, season with salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil to form a thickened emulsion.
- Pour over each salad and garnish with two anchovies each, if using.
- Serve immediately with some crusty French bread.