Swedes love nothing more than stopping for coffee and cake at absolutely any time of the day. They love it so much they even have a word for this experience – it’s ‘Fika’. If you love cinnamon you will love this classic Swedish recipe. Get baking, make some coffee and invite your friends around and enjoy the moment. If you haven’t got time to bake, try visiting London’s very own Swedish bakery Bageriet in Convent Garden for some or if you are lucky enough to visit Stockholm head to Vete-Katten and ‘Fika’ like a local.
450g plain flour
10ml (2 tsp) fast action yeast
50g caster sugar
15ml (1 Tbsp) ground cardamom
5ml (1tsp) salt
80g butter, melted and cooled
250ml milk, warmed
50g butter, softened
60ml (4 Tbsp) caster sugar
45ml (3 Tbsp) ground cinnamon
225g marzipan shop bought or homemade – see extra recipe below*
A little milk
30ml (2 Tbsp) water
45ml (3 Tbsp) caster sugar
Pearl sugar to sprinkle (optional)
24 paper muffin cases
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, yeast, sugar, cardamom and salt. Make a well in the centre and add the warmed milk and butter, stirring slowly until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Turn the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead for at least 10 minutes until the dough is soft and smooth. Alternatively, mix and knead the dough in a free-standing kitchen mixer with the dough hook attachment.
- Place the dough in a clean, lightly greased bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to prove until doubled in size (approximately 1 hour).
- Divide the dough into two and roll each piece into a rectangle approx. 25 x 40cms
- Spread the softened butter equally on to each rectangle. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon and evenly sprinkle over each dough rectangle. Then grate the marzipan equally over each. (This avoids the marzipan clumping together).
- Roll each dough piece loosely along the long side ending with the seam facing down. Cut each roll into 12 buns.
- Put each bun into a muffin case placed inside a muffin tin. Leave to prove for a further 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200˚C.
- Brush each bun with a little milk and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by dissolving the caster sugar in the water in a small pan over a medium heat and then boil until a light syrup is formed.
- When the buns are ready, take them out of the oven and immediately brush with glaze and sprinkle with the pearl sugar is using.
*Homemade Marzipan – in a food processor mix together 100g ground almonds, 50g caster sugar, 50g icing sugar, 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) almond essence and 25ml egg white until well combined. Chill for 1 hour before using. Note – use up any extra egg white with the milk to glaze the dough prior to cooking.