I confess I have never really liked toffee apples until I made these. Before I found them far too sweet and boring, but not anymore. In this recipe I have added cinnamon to offset their sugary sweetness and a touch of edible glitter for some sparkly glamour. I think these really are now the golden balls of toffee apples!
Makes: 6 Toffee Apples
6 Golden Delicious apples
200g granulated sugar
175g golden syrup
2.5ml (1/2 tsp) ground cinnamon
2.5ml (1/2 tsp) edible gold glitter
6 wooden lollipop sticks
- Line a baking tray with greased baking paper and insert a lollipop stick into the stem of each apple.
- Place the sugar, syrup and water into a small pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat and gently boil until it reaches exactly 150°C on a sugar thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and gently stir in the cinnamon and glitter – careful as this will cause it to bubble further.
- Take each apple using the lollipop stick and dip into the sugar syrup and turn careful to completely coat all sides. Allow excess sugar syrup to drip back into the pan and place the coated apple on to the baking tray to harden. Sprinkle with extra glitter is you desire. Be very careful as the sugar syrup is extremely hot. Add an indoor sparkler for fun but again be extremely careful.