Need warming this bonfire night…. then make a batch of this spicy soup to sip around the fire. Made with flamed coloured vegetables, fresh ginger and chilli it will certainly turn the heat up the outside.
15ml (1Tbsp) sunflower oil
1 medium onion
1 sweet potato
½ a butternut squash
2 large cloves of garlic
30g fresh root ginger
1 large red chilli
1.25 litres hot vegetable stock
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
To serve: Pumpkin oil or extra virgin olive oil, pumpkin seeds and chilli or Aleppo pepper flakes
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Peel and chop the onion and add to the pan. Gentle ‘sweat’ the onion while you prepare the rest of the vegetables.
- Peel and chop the rest of the root vegetables and add to the onion once each type is prepared.
- Peel and chop the garlic and root ginger, add to the vegetables. Remove the top of the red chilli and slice, add to the vegetables together with the chilli seeds.
- Place a lid on the saucepan and continue to ‘sweat’ vegetables for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and season. Simmer the soup for a further 25-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and liquidise the soup in batches until smooth.
- Serve in warmed bowls or mugs with a swirl of pumpkin or extra olive oil on top and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and chili/Aleppo pepper flakes.