It might be ‘beginning to look a lot like Christmas’ out and about but now is the time to start bringing it to the table too. With just three weeks to go to the big day why not start by giving your breakfast a little festive flavour with this super easy Christmas Compote. Made with frozen berries, spices, orange zest and a dash of spirits too, you can start your day with yuletide yumminess. Serve over porridge enriched with a spoon of nut butter (see previous blog) or with Greek yogurt and sprinkle with chopped pistachio nuts. Alternatively, it makes a delicious dessert served with meringues and cream.
1kg (2 x 500g bags) frozen mixed berries
100g caster sugar, ideally golden
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise
Zest of one orange
A dash of Amaretto (or any other liqueur of your choice, alternatively omit)
- Simply tip the frozen berries in to a large saucepan and place on a low heat to slowly defrost.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon sticks and star anise.
- Remove the zest from the orange by using a vegetable peeler to remove large strips. Be careful not to remove the pith too as this can be bitter. Add to the saucepan.
- Gently stir until the sugar has dissolved and the fruit has fully defrosted.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in a dash of Amaretto or the liqueur of your choice.
- Cover with a lid and leave to macerate overnight in a cool pace.
- Remove the spices and orange zest then pour the compote into two large jam jars or a large plastic container and cover with a secure lid.
- Store in the fridge for up to one week.