One question I am often asked is, what to serve for a dessert after a spicy meal. Inspired by last week’s snowy weather I made a coconut, lime & mint granita for such an occasion.
You will find this dessert works well as coconut is widely used in many curries, especially Asian style. It also has an amazing cooling effect while the lime and mint help cleanse the palate.
200g caster sugar
400g tinned (light) coconut milk
Small bunch of mint, finely chopped
Extra sprigs of mint to decorate
- Put the sugar and water in to a pan and gently simmer to dissolve the sugar. Swirl the pan to stir – do not stir with a spoon.
- Grate the zest of 2 of the limes and add this to the pan along with the juice of all 4 limes.
- Pour the sugar and lime water into a large jug along with the coconut milk and mint. Leave to cool.
- Pour the above into a large plastic container and place in the freezer.
- After 2 hours rake through with a fork to break up the ice crystals as they form to produce the granular texture of a granita.
- Repeat after another 2 hours and then leave in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Note: freezing time will vary according to the size of your container.
- Serve in bowls and add extra mint leaves to decorate.