Easy peasy lemon squeezy…. that’s how simple it is to make this delicious citrus curd. Combining the flavours of both lemon and lime this recipe gives this traditional preserve a modern twist with its extra limey dimension. Perfect to spread on toast or used to sandwich cakes together or even folded in to whipped cream to give a tangy taste to the dessert of your choice.
1 large lemons
150g caster sugar
4 large eggs
100g butter (unsalted), cubed
- Finely grate the lemon and limes and place the zest in a bowl with the sugar.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon and limes into another bowl and mix with the eggs, then pour this through a nylon sieve over the sugar – this removes any unwanted gel from the egg.
- Add the butter cubes and place the bowl over simmering water.
- Stir with a wooden spoon continuously until thickened and the curd begins to coat the back of the spoon approx. 20 minutes.
- Immediately remove from the heat and pour into a sterilised jar or two (depending on size).
- Allow to cool, then cover and store in the fridge up to a week.