Who doesn’t feel guilty eating snacks with drinks? No need to feel bad any longer, these homemade tortilla chips are baked not fried and only have the slightest touch of oil. Using Masa Harina flour, which is made from cooked corn kernels that are soaked in lime, they have that truly authentic taste too. Free from gluten they are universally suitable to share.
120g Masa Harina four, available on line or in speciality shops
150g hot water
2.5ml (1/2 tsp) salt
10ml (2 tsp) cumin seeds, optional
Sunflower oil to spray
- In a bowl mix together the Masa Harina flour, hot water and salt. Bring together with your hands to form a soft dough ball, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge to rest for 15 minutes.
- Pre heat oven to 200°c fan.
- Either use a tortilla press or a rolling pin to press/roll dough thinly, covering the dough with grease proof paper or cling film either side to stop sticking.
- To form regular triangular chip (see picture below) – divide into 15 balls and roll each into a larger circle and cut into quarters. Alternatively, divide into four, roll out and using a pizza wheel trim then cut into strips – see feature image.
- Spray a baking tray lightly with sunflower oil, add the tortilla chips in one layer and spray lightly again.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Serve with a dip of your choice or with alongside a bowl of chilli – tequila or beer optional.
Beetroot Dip – feature image
In a food processor, whizz together 250g ready peeled and cooked beetroot, 100g unsweetened coconut yogurt, ½ a garlic clove crushed, salt and pepper to taste.