I have always reserved making biscotti just for Christmas but now it’s time for it to make an Easter debut in my house. Here especially for the season are two new ideas, using my basic recipe below, either add Cadbury’s mini eggs for a real chocolate bonanza of a biscuit, or alternatively, add dried apricots, pistachio nuts, white chocolate and lemon zest for the fresh flavour of springtime. Biscotti keeps well in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks so why not bake ahead and pack your biscotti into cellophane bags, tie with colourful ribbons and give to family and friends over the Easter break.
250g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
50g chilled butter, cubed
Flavour options* 200g Cadbury’s mini eggs OR 75g pistachio nuts, 75g chopped dried apricots, 75g chopped white chocolate and the zest of 1 lemon
150g caster sugar
Extra caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl and add the baking powder and salt.
- Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add your chosen flavour ingredients* to the flour mixture together with the sugar and eggs and stir to form a dough.
- Divide the dough into two portions and place each on a lined baking tray.
- Shape each half into a log shape approximately 20cm long and flatten slightly.
- Dust with extra caster sugar and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Cool for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 160°C.
- Cut each baked log into 5mm-1cm slices and spread over two baking trays.
- Return to the oven for a further 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.