Flapjacks have always been my go-to recipe, I love them! This recipe is a crowd pleaser so if you need to bake for a cake sale or perhaps as a bring to work treat then this is for you. I used to make these the first Friday of the month for my colleagues as a charity fundraiser varying the flavours each time so hence, they became ‘Thank Flapjack it’s Friday’.
350g butter or dairy free alternative
300g Demerara sugar
60ml (4 Tbsp) golden syrup
450g rolled porridge oats
250g added ingredients of your choice e.g. pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chopped dates, dried apricots or raisins – or keep it plain by using 550g of rolled oats. Don’t forget you can add spices too.
*in the photo I have used pecan nuts and almonds with sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Melt the butter (or dairy free alternative) in a large saucepan with the sugar and syrup, stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Stir in the oats followed by the additional ingredients of your choice.
- Line the base of a baking tin (approx. 30x25cms) with baking paper.
- Press the flapjack into the tin with a palette knife until smooth and even.
- Bake in the oven at 170°C Fan for approximately 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool before cutting in to squares.