Stuck for ideas on what to feed someone who follows both a vegan and a gluten free diet and want to keep it simple. Then here is your answer! A Socca also known as a Farinata , originating from Genoa, it is an unleavened pancake which is similar to a flat Yorkshire pudding, which you can easily add flavours to making it to your own taste. Although simple to prepare, you need to plan ahead as the chickpea flour, also known as gram flour, needs to be left to soak for at least 2 hours in advance. Here is my version using carrots and cumin to provide flavour and colour too.
125g chickpea (gram/besan) flour
2.5ml ( 1/2 tsp) salt
Juice of half a lemon
5ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
Pinch bicarbonate of soda
1 large carrot, peeled and grated (approx. 100g)
Freshly ground black pepper
30ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
Extra salt flakes to garnish
- Place the chickpea flour and salt in a mixing bowl and slowly whisk in the water and lemon juice. Cover and leave to stand at room temperature for two hours.
- To make the Socca – preheat the oven to 200°C Fan.
- On the stove, heat a heavy based ovenproof frying pan (approx. 25cm) and gently dry fry the cumin seeds for 1-2 minutes to release their flavour. Add the cumin seeds to the Socca batter along with the bicarbonate of soda, grated carrot and season with black pepper. Add one tablespoon of olive oil and stir well.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the frying pan for 30 seconds and then carefully pour in the Socca batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with extra salt flakes and a salad on the side.