Biscuits on sticks – a sure winner at every cake sale and children’s party alike. Very simple to make and bake, just choose your theme and shape and decorate accordingly. Added bonus – no sticky fingers! I have made these for all sorts of occasions, but my firm favourite are the happy faces always guaranteed to put a smile of every face!
90g butter, softened
100g caster sugar
2.5ml ( ½ tsp) vanilla essence
200g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
Wooden sticks – available from craft shops
Icing & decorations as required
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C Fan.
- In a bowl cream together the butter and sugar until pale and light, then beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
- Stir in the flour and salt to make a thick yet soft dough.
- On a floured surface carefully roll out the dough to ½ cm thick.
- Using biscuit cutters of your choice cut out shapes and place on a lined baking sheet spaced apart. Then carefully insert a wooden stick into each biscuit.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool before moving on to a cooling rack.
- Decorate as you like!
Variation: Once the biscuits are on the trays with the sticks insert ‘Smarties’ in to the dough and then bake.
Recipe above – used here to make biscuit ‘eggs’ for Easter – perfect gifts!