Far from being basic, muffins have so much more to offer. Firstly, they are much easier to make than cake and taste just as good. Secondly, they are better for you as they are made with unsaturated fat i.e. plant based oil rather than butter and finally, and best of all, they are super easy to be creative with. So, let your imagination run wild or simply have a go at my suggestions at the end of this post using the following ‘basic’ recipe.
250g self-raising flour
5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
100g caster sugar
85ml sunflower oil
*200g additional ingredients e.g. mashed banana, blueberries, raisins, dried cherries, chocolate chips, grated apple/carrot, raisins etc & 5ml (1 tsp) spice e.g. cinnamon, ginger, mixed spice or citrus zest. Nuts and seeds work well too. See below method for flavour suggestions.
12 Muffin cases
- Preheat the oven to 200oC Fan.
- Place the muffin cases in the muffin tin.
- Place the flour and baking powder into the mixing bowl and then add the sugar, milk, oil and eggs.
- Mix everything together until combined adding the additional ingredients of your choice.
- Divide the mixture equally between the 12 muffin cases using 2 spoons. Sprinkle over any toppings of choice.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack. Decorate if desired.
Chocolate & Ginger with Tahini
Substitute 50g flour with 50g cocoa, add 125g chopped plain dark chocolate & 75g chopped crystallised ginger. Just before baking add 5ml (1tsp) tahini to the top of each muffin and swirl with a spoon. Sprinkle with sesame seeds before cooking.
Blueberry, Cherry and Lemon
Add 125g fresh blueberries, 75g chopped dried cherries and the zest of 1 lemon. Prior to baking sprinkle with pearl sugar.
Toffee Apple & Walnut
Add 100g grated apple. 50g chopped walnuts, 50g chopped toffee sweets and 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon. Prior to baking sprinkle with a mix of finely chopped walnuts, brown sugar and some ground cinnamon.
Carrot, Cardamom & White Chocolate
Add 100g grated carrots, 100g chopped white chocolate and 3 cardamom pods finely ground (pods discarded). After baking and once cooled, drizzle with melted white chocolate.